Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Why I Love François Truffaut














Not only did Truffaut have a deep love for artists and great art, he believed in everyone's capacity for great art. Here are a few inspiring quotes from his fantastic book The Films in My Life. (Image from Truffaut's
Les Quatre cents coups also known as The 400 Blows.)

"Today, I demand that a film express either the joy of making cinema or the agony of making cinema. I am not at all interested in anything in between; I am not interested in all those films that do not pulse." -François Truffaut

"People of the world are so imbued with their own stupidity that they can never believe that one of their own has talent. They appreciate only people of letters who are not of their world." -Marcel Proust

"Bad reviews preserve an [artist] better than alcohol preserves a piece of fruit." -Jean Paulhan